Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Open source speaker project?
Open source speaker project?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: choose your way!
3 way classic - limited (Under ~500$ Drivers and Parts). 39 20.97%
3 way classic - High end (Above ~500$ Drivers and Parts). 43 23.12%
3 way horn loaded - limited (Under ~500$). 8 4.30%
3 way horn loaded - High end (Above ~500$). 24 12.90%
2 way classic - limited (Under ~500$). 20 10.75%
2 way classic - High end (Above ~500$). 14 7.53%
2 way horn loaded - limited (Under ~500$). 25 13.44%
2 way horn loaded - High end (Above ~500$). 13 6.99%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM   #311
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
幸运飞艇开奖直播 Member

Open source speaker project? Send a message via AIM to Luke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pida View Post
Just to throw in some ideas.... If I were to built high end 3way, and not "just another 3way", I would try to solve typical issues:
- diffractions, this can be eliminated with large roundovers. CNC will be needed, and I do not see it as showstopper
- midrange/tweeter directivity mismatch => use of WG for tweeter
- sensitivity ~90dB/1m/2.83V => dual woofers
- overall cabinet dimensions should reasonable, to be able to construct and handle it, ~80l is optimum
- reasonable total cost, no too expensive drivers like RAAL, Bliesma, AT

How to do it:
- dual woofers: 2x Vifa NE225W-08, sensitivity 90-91dB/2.83V/1m, cabinet volume ~70l
- 6-7" midrange, Satori, Vifa NE, Revelators,....
- WG148R or ......

Cabinet could be similar to Thiels. There is also in the link, I cannot attach the image from this PC.
en-BBB :: Pkaudio
If you follow the thread, Aatto has set a budget of $1500 max, RAAL, may be pushing it. I don't think many members have access to CNC machine.
Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM   #312
幸运飞艇开奖直播 Member

I think the idea is to get someone offer a package of cnc'd cabinet parts, and possibly drivers + xo components, provided there is enough interest.
Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM   #313
Aatto is offline Aatto  United States
幸运飞艇开奖直播 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pida View Post
... reasonable total cost, no too expensive drivers like RAAL, Bliesma, AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
If you follow the thread, Aatto has set a budget of $1500 max, RAAL, may be pushing it. I don't think many members have access to CNC machine.
I think Pida meant Not too expensive drivers like RAAL .... but I might be wrong

Last edited by Aatto; Yesterday at 04:18 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM   #314
Aatto is offline Aatto  United States
幸运飞艇开奖直播 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojzek View Post
Hi, I guess we don't need to be that optimistic that a copy/clone loudspeaker yet to be designed will beat the original one because we neither have the exact parts nor the machinery to perform all the exact details but we have a fair shot to get close enough for presumably a lot less funds. That is already a worthy goal.

Next, I would like to suggest a course of action in order to increase the chance of pulling your idea off. We should make a selection of already built commercial loudspeakers that reflect the desirable technical solutions mentioned thus far and as suggested by Andy in post #304 or probably extend this list a bit more. We can discuss particular products in this thread and once we found it complete, start a new thread and list these in some kind of an order and make a poll so people can vote for their personal favorite. The technical specs should not be discussed in particular for the existing products have already these figured out. Additionally, we may be able to perform mods to the impedance, making it more tube amp friendly, as already agreed upon to be desireable.
That is good idea, I will try to go through a few last pages to find suggested builds, and will add it to Andy's list if it is not there, Lets start a list and everybody can add their title to the list and if it needs more info they can post it in a reply and we can add the description post# to each one (to keep the list clean). sounds good ?

for example :

1- 3 Way - 2x 8" woofers - 6-7" midrange - tweeter. ~90db. by Pida Post#310.

is this what you meant ?
Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM   #315
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
幸运飞艇开奖直播 Member

Yes, it is. At one point in this thread, when we agree on the drive units brand name and model, we will be able to put the parts cost estimate and at a final stage (a new thread and new poll with each design proposal having its own post number) embelish it with some photographs.
Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM   #316
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
幸运飞艇开奖直播 Member

Default What do you say to building these gems?

We could scale down the speakers to meet our criteria more closely, to decrease the expense and enclosure volume.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dynaudio Evidence Master.jpg (13.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Wharfedale Airedale Classic Heritage.jpg (59.2 KB, 40 views)
Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM   #317
幸运飞艇开奖直播 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy19191 View Post
If this is to be a thread chatting about group projects in general can I suggest a few people that have asked for and posted partial specs for a 3 way speaker start separate threads for a specific type of speaker with a decent amount of the spec in the OP so that people can fairly swiftly develop the details. Some will no doubt fade away but hopefully a few will attract enthusiasm and grow.

If we are to remain a group and maintain goodwill can I suggest initiating a discussion about the speakers in this thread and only starting a separate thread when several people have expressed enthusiasm.
That makes good sense to encourage development and to follow different proposals more easily. I would suggest any separate threads be named appropriately and a link added to the original post when they are created.

Perhaps in the interest of documentation it wouldn't hurt to add a link in the original post to the point in this thread where 3-way was decided as the design choice as well. These threads can be tough to read in hindsight.

Last edited by tsmith1315; Yesterday at 09:56 PM. Reason: redundancy

Open source speaker project?Hide this!Advertise here!